Child Death Overview Panel
Since April 2008 all Local Safeguarding Children Boards (LSCB) have been required to establish a Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP). The guidance for this is set out in Chapter 7 of Working Together to Safeguard Children from Harm.
The panel is to collect data and analyse and review the death of all children under 18 years of age who lived in their area with a view to considering if there are things that may be done differently that will help children, young people and their families in the future.
There is information available for parents/carers that explains the process and information that sets out how we are doing this in Salford.
Within the downloadable documents there is a protocol for schools regarding significant harm or death of a child, young person or adult in schools or other settings.
Four CDOPs cover all of Greater Manchester. All collect data in a common format to allow sharing of information in order to build a picture of emerging themes and patterns across the sub-region. The findings from child deaths is used to inform local strategic planning on how to best safeguard and reduce harm in children and to promote better outcomes for our children in the future. Data is also returned annually to the DfE to inform the national picture.
Contact details for the CDOP Chair and panel members as well as copies of annual reports are available on the Greater Manchester Safeguarding Partnership website.
Details of the joint Bolton, Salford and Wigan safe sleeping campaign are available on the parent's pages of this website.
Bolton, Salford and Wigan's current child death arrangements are available on the about the Salford Safeguarding Children Partnership page of this website.
- Bolton, Salford and Wigan CDOP annual report 2017-18 (Adobe PDF format, 206kb)
- Greater Manchester CDOP annual report 2017-18 (Adobe PDF format, 1.2mb)
- Terms of reference (Adobe PDF format, 36kb)
- Operational document (Adobe PDF format, 1mb)
- Parents letterhead (Adobe PDF format, 56kb)
- Child death leaflet (Adobe PDF format, 2mb)
- Critical incident response protocol (Adobe PDF format, 37kb)
- Critical incident response flowchart (Adobe PDF format, 14kb)
Details of all the latest news from the Salford Safeguarding Children Partnership.